Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Foundation Routine (Explained) and HAC Routine



Before I even start applying my makeup in the morning, I like to cleanse my face with facial wipes to just get off any oils or dirt still left on my face. Afterwards, I apply my sunscreen (always apply sunscreen to your face!). I've been using Aveeno's Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion in SPF 30. Then I apply my moisturizer, which I switch off every now and then depending on how my skin is feeling. My favorites are Cetaphil's Moisturizing Lotion, Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin, or Simple's Hydrating Light Moisturizer. Now that my skin is prepped for makeup, we can begin my foundation routine. 






I always apply primer to my face because I have pretty bad pores in my T-zone and I hate them showing through. Primer also ensures that my foundation will stay on for the whole day. I also switch off on my primers. My favorites are Rimmel's Fix & Perfect Primer in 002, Urban Decay's Complexion Primer Potion, and recently I have been completely loving L'Oreal's Revitalift Miracle Blur (oil-free). That primer has become my holy grail drugstore product besides its expensive price. I feel like it works wonders for my skin and I can barely see my pores after I apply it. My skin feels so smooth afterwards as well. I apply it using my fingers instead of a brush because I feel like my hands bring warmth to the product making it easier to apply and blend into my skin. 

The next step is applying concealer, but only for my problem areas such as blemishes and some acne scarring I have. I always use Hard Candy's Glamouflage for this because a small bit goes a long way and I always have confidence that this concealer will cover even the most biggest blemish I may have. I spot apply it using my finger and then I use a duo-fiber brush to stipple the concealer to blend it out. 



Now, I apply my foundation. I like to try different foundations from drugstore to high-end. I've tried MAC foundations before but it just completely breaks my skin out. I'm not sure if it's something in the ingredients or it's just my skin? But for the longest time I've been using and have re-bought at least 4 times, Revlon's Color Stay Foundation for oily/combination skin. It's a great drugstore foundation and I have not found any drugstore foundation that can compare. It definitely gives you a full coverage look and is easy to blend into your skin. It also lasts a really long time, however I have found it to come off a bit if I'm out late. I find that this foundation doesn't have the tendency to cake up and I really like that about this foundation. The only thing I would like for it to have would be a pump because it's very hard to get the liquid out of the bottle sometimes. As of lately, I actually have been using Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation and I'm in love with it! I will definitely be buying it again. It gives absolutely full full coverage and I love a foundation that can give me just that. It has a matte finish which I also love because my T-zone can get pretty oily throughout the day even with powder applied over. It is more expensive than Revlon's Foundation but it's definitely worth it because of the bottle size and it even has a pump so you don't waste product. You only need a couple dabs of this foundation to cover your entire face and neck! The technique I use to apply my foundation is stippling and buffing. I like to dab a few spots of foundation on my face with my finger or a small concealer brush and then taking a dome shaped foundation brush I stipple it around my face and then I go back and buff it in. If I need more coverage in some areas, I stipple around the area until it is covered. I let my foundation sit for about 5 minutes to set. 

Once my foundation is set, I apply my under-eye concealer. I have been on the hunt for an amazing light concealer since I am so pale, but I think I have found one that I truly love. I have been using NYX's HD Photogenic Concealer in Porcelain. I found that it gives me a slight brightening effect even when I am not self-tanning and then when I do apply my self-tanner I like the brightening, highlight effect it gives me under my eyes. I like to also apply it to my forehead, the bridge of my nose, my cupid's bow, and my chin to save a step in highlighting. I tab a few spots with the concealer wand and then I use E.L.F.'s studio small stipple brush to blend it out. To set the concealer I use either a translucent powder such as MUFE's HD Translucent Powder, but if I want a more brightening/highlighting effect, I use a highlighting eyeshadow such as Ulta's Eyeshadow in the color Naked (an off-white/ivory color) with a medium fluffy dome brush.



I set the rest of my foundation with Rimmel's Stay Matte face powder which is the best mattifying powder I have tried so far. I have also been trying out Urban Decay's Razor Sharp Translucent Powder which I have been very happy with minus the sponge applicator attached (I use a brush to apply it, I just tap it on top of the sponge and the product goes onto the brush… If that makes any sense!). 




For contouring, I either use a bronzer for a glowy/tan effect such as Wet N Wild's bronzer in Goddess or for a more, shadow/contour color I use NYX's Eyebrow Cake Powder in Taupe/Ash because I do not have a taupe-y contour color yet but I have heard to try out NYX's Blush in Taupe. I generally use a medium angled blush brush to apply bronzer/contour to my temples, above my forehead, jawline, and cheekbones. When I do my nose, I apply it to both sides of my bridge with a fluffy brush. The above pictures is where I contour my face (I used cream products to make the HACing more visible, I normally use powders on a day-to-day basis because it's more natural. Where you highlight and contour depends on your face shape so you might have to do some research. Cara at maskcara.com is amazing at HAC and she has a lot of posts on different techniques for different shaped faces! I have more of a heard shaped face so this is how I contour).

So, that is my foundation/h&c routine! I hope I helped some people with their foundation and just leave comments if you have any questions! 



No comments:

Post a Comment